Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi Applauds Passage Of INVEST In America Act, Including Its Climate Change Provisions and His Amendments
WASHINGTON – Today, Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi hailed Thursday’s passage of the Investing in a New Vision for the Environment and Surface Transportation (INVEST) in America Act, a five-year plan to invest $715 billion into infrastructure to create jobs and fortify U.S. transportation systems. In doing so, it focuses on improving infrastructure in a sustainable way that prioritizes the jobs and the environment of the future.
“I’m proud that the House was able to pass the INVEST in America Act to keep the U.S. competitive on the global stage for infrastructure and to positively contribute to the environment,” Congressman Krishnamoorthi said. “The climate change, environmental equity, and water policy aspects of the INVEST in America Act are crucial to safeguarding our natural resources and economic future. I’m proud that my amendments to support environmentally friendly materials and study sewage system sustainability were included in this landmark legislation which will rebuild and reimagine our country’s infrastructure for the next generation.”
The INVEST in America Act includes a few key climate change policies:
- Creates a new carbon pollution reduction apportionment program, investing $8.3 billion in highway, transit, and rail projects that will reduce greenhouse gases, and holds states accountable for their performance by measuring annual progress and requiring low-performing states to dedicate additional resources toward reducing carbon pollution.
- Invests $4 billion in electric vehicle charging and alternative fueling infrastructure along designated corridors, reducing range anxiety, and helping America shift to the next generation of clean vehicles.
- Establishes a new greenhouse gas performance measure to track states’ progress in reducing carbon pollution from our highway system.
- Establishes a new green highway materials research, development, and deployment program focused on highway materials that will reduce or sequester greenhouse gas pollution generated during production and construction.
- Invests over $4 billion in zero emission buses, making our transit systems green and improving air quality in our communities.
- Requires Amtrak to develop a strategy to become a net-zero carbon emissions transportation provider and achieve net-zero carbon emissions within the Northeast Corridor by 2035.
- Invests $105 billion over 10 years in drinking water infrastructure.
In addition to the environmental provisions within the INVEST in America Act, two environmental amendments from Congressman Krishnamoorthi passed. The first amendment requests that federally funded materials should be environmentally friendly, whenever possible. The second amendment requires the EPA to conduct a study on the effect of toilet wipes marketed as flushable on municipal water systems and residential plumbing systems.